Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Em Lam Doesn't Mean Mushroom

April 16

Turns out I was even more confused than I thought because Em Lam doesn't mean mushroom.

Also Easter was basically not a thing here.

I realized I haven't talked much about the actual work of missionary here so I thought I would share a bit...better late than never...feel free to skim.

First, contacting and such. We don't wear our nametags unless we are in church buildings so when we walk on the streets we are just like normal human beings. When we go contacting we go to a store or a park or something and try to strike up a normal conversation then work the gospel in there slowly. We don't go door to door or anything like that. We haven't gone contacting a ton but when we have I mainly just try and follow the conversation of my companion. That is how we found one of our current investigators though!

As I think all people know, members are crucial to the work here and everywhere. Members help out so much in lessons because basically every member here is a convert and has been in the same shoes as the investigator. I really am starting to love all of the members here. They are all so nice and sweet and all have sacrificed so much for the gospel. I think they help me much more than I help them. I haven't ever taught a lesson in a home. We have been to a couple of members apartments, but we always teach investigators at one of the two church buildings.

English class. We teach English class every Wednesday and that is one way that we find investigators the most as well. We have been finding a lot of potential investigators lately and I'm excited to be able to share the gospel with as many people as we can!

It is the small moments of progression in investigators that make me so so happy. Like when Anh Quy says that he applied a conference talk to his life or how keeping the Sabbath Day Holy is so nice and relaxing or when Em Lam stands up in English class and shares his experience with prayer. It is these small moments that make it all worth it. I really am loving it here. I think in missionary work there are so many small and simple moments that make each day worth all the effort.

I had to give a talk in Vietnamese for the "skype" sacrament meeting which is really just talking into a speaker with a lot of noise coming through it. Though I'm sure no one understood me, it was such a special moment for me. We were sitting in this small room, just two elders, me and my companion, and someone from the branch presidency and we had a little sacrament meeting just with ourselves and the people we knew were listening through the speakers. I was just overwhelmed with a feeling of peace and sense of awe at the devotion of these members who live too far away to attend an actual service. Everyone here has such faith. I felt how much God is aware of these people and how in my lifetime I know I will be able to see the gospel spread across Vietnam.

Some random fun facts I wish to impart to all of you:

1. I now choose to take cold showers.
2. I think one day I started sweating out of my eye
3. If you are a woman and have reached about the age of 61 or so you have the right to basically wear pajamas all the time. All of the elderly ladies here wear something that looks similar to pajamas with a matching floral top and bottom. I am going to purchase 382 pairs before I come home.
4. I smiled at someone’s baby and it started crying.

Proof
5. I was reciting the Restoration in a lesson and forgot it halfway through...
6. Everyone here wants to be white so bad. In the store every cream and stuff I see is to help make your skin whiter. Opposite of America. My companion always complains about how black her skin has gotten from biking :)

I love you all!  XOXO

Chi Chau Campbell Sister Aimee

Robyn's note:  There was only one picture this week :(

No comments:

Post a Comment