Monday, May 5, 2014

What? Elementary school isn't all fun and games?

Tonight at the dinner table, the children were reminiscing about their time in elementary school.

What's up with those 2nd grade teachers?
Maddie:  I remember that my 2nd grade teacher took me out in the hall one day and told me that I needed to stop rolling my eyes at her because it was disrespectful.

Nate:  Did you stop?

Maddie:  What do you think?  (Followed by an eye roll).

Aimee:  Well in 2nd grade I was having nightmares and was scared to go to school because my teacher yelled.  Mom had to have a talk with her.

Grace:  Why didn't you talk to MY 2nd grade teacher?  She was terrible.

Robyn:  Well, I felt like you could handle it and that it was a growing experience for you.  It was debilitating for Aimee so something had to be done.

The Trunchbull at Lunch
Nate: At our old school, I remember we had to raise our hands to be excused from the lunchroom.

Rod: What?  Seriously?

Maddie: Yeah and sometimes my arm would get tired because you'd be waiting for like 5 minutes to get noticed.   I admired those kids who would sneak out without being excused and make a mad dash for the door.

Rod:  What rebels.

Aimee:  And, a lunch lady would come and check our trays and lunch sacks to make sure that we ate all of our food.

Rod:  That's ridiculous.

Aimee: One day, my friend asked me to hide her yogurt in my lunch sack because she didn't want to eat it so I did but then the lunch lady looked in the sack and asked me why I didn't eat the yogurt and I was scared and said that I didn't eat it because I didn't have a spoon but then she pulled out the spoon that I had for my pudding and looked accusingly at me, "What is this then?" I didn't know what to say, so I burst into tears and my teacher had to come rescue me.

Robyn (outraged):  Sounds a like The Trunchbull.

Aimee: And one time me and my friend put our heads down on the table so that we could say a prayer on our lunch and the lady came over and told us not to do that.

Robyn:  Yep.  THE TRUNCHBULL.

P.S.   There are just a few of these.  The children had great teachers and good experiences for the most part.


No comments:

Post a Comment