Here in Provo, Utah, it has been VERY cold the past few days--single digits. Unfortunately, the Campbells are ill-prepared for this weather. Each year, the need for cold weather outerwear always seems to sneak up on us unawares.
Thursday morning early
Maddie: I can't believe I have to wear slippers in this weather.
Robyn: What about your boots?
Maddie: My foot (the one that is attached to the leg that had surgery) won't fit into them.
Aimee: Look, Mom. I have a big hole in my boot. That will really keep the snow out.
30 minutes later
Robyn (exasperated): Nate you have to at least wear pants today! It's only 3 degrees outside! And what about your coat?
Nate: I don't have one.
20 minutes later
Grace: Mom, I can't get my boot to zip up.
After several unsuccessful attempts at zipping the boot.
Robyn: Well, I don't think you can wear these today.
Grace (beginning to cry): I don't have anything else! It's cooollllldddd! (getting louder) What am I supposed to do? (and louder) I can't wear my tennis shoes in the snow!
Robyn (after searching the house for any kind of footwear that might work): Well, maybe you could put on your tennis shoes and wear MY boots over them.
Grace (almost hysterical now): Are you kidding? I can't do that! That looks TERRIBLE! (looking at the time) And now I'm going to be late. Oh why does this always happen to ME????
Robyn (at a loss): Sorry, hon. I don't know what to tell you. You could wear my boots or wear your tennis shoes. But, I'll drive you to school today so you don't have to walk.
Grace (still crying, but a little less): Fine. I'll wear the tennis shoes.
After dropping Grace off at school
Robyn (to herself): Some days, I am an epic failure as a mother. (Sigh)
No comments:
Post a Comment