A few days ago
Nate: Mom, we are having a medieval feast at school and we need to bring something for it. Can we bring your homemade rolls?
Robyn: Sure. Just remind me when it's time.
Nate: Ok.
Yesterday after school
Nate: Guess what happened? I think I am back in favor with the sub who thought I spent too much time in the bathroom that one time.
Robyn: Oh?
Nate: Yeah, there were lots of people who wanted to bring rolls to the feast so she called my teacher to ask her about it. My teacher told her that only 3 people could bring rolls and since I signed up late (because I was sick that day), I wasn't on the list and I was like "Oh man, that stinks!" But good news, Mom, the sub came over and whispered to me that I could bring rolls if I wanted. She just didn't want to say that in front of the other kids. I think I'm back in her good graces again.
Robyn: That's great. We'll make the rolls later today.
10:00 p.m. last night after a very hectic evening
Nate (from his bed): Mom, don't forget about the rolls!
Robyn: Oh shoot. I forgot. (She wearily gets in the car, goes to the store, and buys some rolls).
This morning
Robyn: Nate, I'm sorry. I dropped the ball on making the rolls, but I bought some at the store last night so you can take those.
Nate drops his head and stays like that for a long time.
Robyn: Nate, are you ok? What is wrong?
Nate (looks up with tears in his eyes): It's just that I told everyone in my class that my mom makes the best rolls in the whole world.
Robyn, realizing that she has no other option, reaches in the cupboard for the flour.
Ha ha, you could have moved.
ReplyDelete