Monday, July 24, 2017

London Baby! Weeks 3 and 4

Week 3 - The Bronte Parsonage,  The Lake District, and Scotland





Week 3 Day 1 
Maddie:  We drove for a long time today but we stopped at the Bronte Parsonage.  After seeing where the Bronte sisters lived, I feel like I understand the kind of gothic nature of their novels better.   “It was not the thorn bending to the honeysuckles, but the honeysuckles embracing the thorn” --Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights.




Maddie:  We're staying in the Lake District.  It's so beautiful here!

Week 3 Day 2








Maddie:  It's our last day in the Lake District :(. but I found a super cute ice cream parlor so that made things happier!


Today was super cool!  We went to Grasmere where Wordsworth lived and wrote his best poetry...






We started out with a hike.  In the rain...




YES MOM I WENT FOR A HIKE WILLINGLY!!

 

It was so beautiful and amazing in the rain.  Then we got world-famous gingerbread that was soooo good. Then we got to go to the trust and a guy in our group got to read us the "Tintern Abbey" poem from one of 6 surviving copies of a first edition of Wordsworths' book.  It was so powerful especially after visiting Tintern Abbey last week.  I just get chills thinking about it!  Overall it was a good, exhausting, wet day. Also, I wore my "marijuana leaf" shirt so now everyone calls me "Marijuana Maddie."  Cheers!

 Robyn's note:  The name for the shirt came because some random woman asked Maddie why she was wearing a shirt with marijuana leaves on it.  They aren't.

Week 3 Days 3 and 4  - no pictures :(

Maddie: OKAY.  So we've been in Scotland for 2 days and I absolutely love it here!  I don't know what it is but I think I love it more than London *gasp*.  Yesterday we visited Hadrian's wall, then toured Sir Walter Scott's crazy eclectic mansion. He had all kinds of weapons and I took a ton of pictures to show Nate.  Today we toured Scottish Parliament and the Edinburgh Castle.  Then we found the graves that inspired the names J.K. Rowling used in her books--Tom Riddle.  We didn't make it to the elephant cafe unfortunately...We walked around and shopped.  We also got super good treats in little unknown hole-in-the-wall places.  Also, apparently Campbells were notorious traitors here?  That would've been nice to know going into this.  I couldn't decide on anything to buy here but I guess that just means I have to come back!

Robyn:  You love Scotland because you're a Campbell.  Same way your dad loved it there.  It's like he came home.

Grandma Johns:  The Johns were not traitors to the Scots so you can use our name if you have to.

Week 3 Day 5

Maddie: We spent the day in York then drove back to London.

Week 4 London Museums, Brighton and Portobello Market

Week 4 Day 1
Maddie:  We went to the British Museum and caught up on homework.

Week 4 Day 2
Maddie:  Today we took a day trip to Brighton and now I understand Kitty and Lydia better.  Brighton is beautiful and wonderful!  I would be as excited to go as Lydia and as upset as Kitty if I wasn't allowed to go!

My friend, Sarah.

Best donut ever!

Brighton had a reputation as a
 "party town" in Jane Austen's time.





Week 4 Day 4
Maddie:  We went to Much Ado About Nothing at the Globe.  It was fantastic!

Week 4 Day 5
Maddie:  We went to the war museum and NATE WOULD HAVE LOVED IT!  I can't wait until I can take him to see it!  We also went to the Tate Modern Art Museum and it was so cool!  There was a room where there was 400 yards of human hair made into a rope.  It was creepy, but there were also a lot of non-creepy exhibits too. :)



Picasso, of course :)


Week 4 Day 6
Maddie:  I'm just walking back from watching Dunkirk.  It was so good!  But I think the point was to make you feel uncomfortable, right??  Man!  Mind blown!


Maddie:  Today was so fun!  this morning I went to Portobello Market which is about 1.5 miles of super cool booths.  I found an original Beatles record for 150 pounds...I got myself a ring and a print.  After that my friend, Sarah, and I went to see Dunkirk and got Indian food at this really good/nice restaurant.  





Rod:  Did you really spend almost 200 dollars on a record?  You don't even have a record player!

Maddie:  No, Dad.  I wasn't going to buy it but I had a long chat with the Vinyl Cafe owner about music so I felt a little guilty for not buying anything from him.

This made me miss Aimee..

...so I had some.

It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment