Today after school
Robyn: Nate, you need to do your homework.
Nate (unresponsive because he's reading a book).
15 minutes later
Robyn: Nate, put down that book and do your homework.
Nate (still unresponsive).
10 minutes later
Robyn: Nathaniel Rodney! What have I asked you to do?
Nate: My homework. But Mom, did you know, reading is part of my homework.
Robyn: I need you to work on the OTHER homework you have (significant pause) . . . NOW.
Nate (finally starts looking through his backpack for his OTHER homework): Oh no!!
Robyn: What's the matter?
Nate (somewhat distressed): I don't have my Egyptian book. I can't do my homework without it.
Robyn: Well go back to school and get it.
Nate: I can't do that! No one is at the school.
Robyn: Yes, they are. You can still get in.
Nate (beginning to whine): I don't want to.
Robyn: Ok then. I can't sign your planner.
Nate: Then I'll have to go to detention. Do you want your son to go to detention?
Robyn: If it will make a lasting impression on him to BRING HOME HIS HOMEWORK!
Nate: Can you take me back to school?
Robyn: Oh, all right but you are going in there to get it yourself. I'll wait in the car.
Nate: Why won't you help me more?
Robyn: Because I'm doing your future wife, children, and co-workers a big favor right now. I'm teaching YOU responsibility.
Nate: But I don't even have a wife.
Robyn: Not yet. But believe me, she will thank me one day for teaching you this lesson.
At the school
Nate: Mom, are you sure you won't come with me?
Robyn: You can do it. Go on.
A few minutes later Nate emerges victorious with the book in hand.
Robyn: See that wasn't so bad, right?
Nate: Well, my teacher was in a meeting with some other teachers so I just snuck in the room and got the book.
At home
Nate: Oh no!!
Robyn: What now?
Nate: I forgot the packet that goes with the book. I can't do my homework without THAT.
Robyn raises her eyebrows but doesn't say anything.
Nate walks out the door, gets on his bike, and heads back to the school.
Robyn (smiling to herself): Lesson learned . . . for now at least.
Maybe I could borrow your spine sometime. Or, maybe you could raise my children. . .
ReplyDeleteHey, I gave you an award. Stop by my blog to nab it.