Thursday, September 8, 2011

"The quality of mercy is not strain'd." --Shakespeare

The other day Robyn opened a letter from the public library informing her that the 20 or so books that she returned two weeks late had added up to a whopping $25.60.

Library Employee (on the phone):  Hello.  May I help you?

Robyn:  Ah, Yes.  I just got this huge bill for library fines and I was wondering if there was something you could do about it.

Library Employee:  Um.  I don't know.

Robyn (plowing ahead and hoping to imply that she is a very responsible library patron):  Well, in the past 20 years that I've been coming to the library, I've only had to buy two books and I've never had a fine over $10.00. This bill for over $25.00 is killing me, I can't pay it right now, and I was hoping to get it reduced.

Library Employee:  We can't do that.

Robyn (getting desperate):  Really?  You can't help me?  Is there no mercy from the city library?

Library Employee (after a long pause):  Uh,  I can go talk to the manager if you'd like.

Robyn:  Yes, why don't you do that.

Waiting . . .

Library Employee:  Hello?  Are you still there?

Robyn (hopeful):  Yes?

Library Employee:  The manager said that we can take off $5.60 so that your bill won't be sent to collections and you can pay it when you come in next time.  Of course, you won't be able to check out any more books until the fine is paid.

Robyn (crushed by the small amount, but glad that the library won't be coming after her, rallies enough to say):  Thank you for your help-- however small it may be.

Library Employee:  You're welcome  (and hangs up).

No comments:

Post a Comment