Nî hăo!!!! Well this last week was certainly something to be remembered. Kinda stressful kinda nice. I know that it is only my first week and that it will get better but boy what a jump from ordinary life to that of a mission. My head is still spinning. Elder Sumner and I have realized that we are the "Project" of our district. All we did was miss one breakfast with them and share that we were a bit homesick. Now they laugh extra loud whenever we say anything remotely funny, give us random hugs, and make sure that we sit with them at every mealtime. All us Elders are from the US but the two sisters are from the Philippines and Italy.
The sister from Italy keeps dropping little knowledge bombs about random cuisine and it's blowing everyone's minds. Here are a couple:
Pepperoni isn't meat it means pepper as in the vegetable.
Italians don't eat spaghetti and meat balls together.
Crazy right? I feel like I have been lied to my whole life.
Probably some of the hardest things that have happened so far have been due to me not thinking things through. For example. Padding in shoes are there for a reason and I would recommend not taking them out. Also, if you are 6'4 and a half, it also isn't a good idea to settle for balcony seats that are made for hobbits.
I appreciate you all and hope you have the best day.
- Elder Campbell or kē zhăng lăo (I think)
October 14, 2019 - My amazing talent has wowed my district
Nî Hăo all.
Week 2 has come and gone and oh boy has it been an adventure and not necessarily a enjoyable one. Chinese, a language I am convinced that its main goal here on earth is to frustrate and confuse. I have drop kicked my basic core book more than once, and when asked what I think of the language, I say bu hao (not good) because they won't teach me the Chinese word for stupid.
Exercise time is fun though. Most of the time we do cardio but sometimes we play volleyball and 4 square. Now I ain't good at any of these games but they are still fun. My claim to fame with 4 square is that I have once made it to the king square and stayed there for a bit. Playing for square kinda made me think of the book of Ether, it's just a bunch of people becoming king then getting overwhelmed, kicked out then coming back. Good stuff. I also played some volleyball and want to apologize to everyone who plays that sport whom I have judged and thought it can't be that hard. It is that hard. I got one kill which I feel was quickly canceled out by the dozens of errors that followed. My team was constantly saying "That was yours Elder Campbell!" And I think "well excuse me if I'm not committed to diving for a volleyball game that we aren't even keeping score of"
And now for the reveal of my talent. We were sitting in the classroom waiting for our teacher and one of the missionaries was doing push ups and I decided to make a fart noise with my hands. We are all so sleep deprived/exhausted that it was a instant hit and now everyone wants me to teach them.
I think y'all are pretty great and can't wait to see most of you after 153 more weeks
God bless California
Elder Campbell
October 21, 2019 – When you know someone on
the inside
Hello all!!
Another week has come and gone and boy was it interesting one. I continue to wow my district with my repertoire of odd sounds, this week it was my BBC Planet Earth narrator voice and my southern accent and duck voice. I am what they called a hoot back in mom and dad's era.
We had our first TRC and it was a bit rough. They said to teach two 20 minute lessons and to NOT go over, my and my companion were so obedient to this second rule and we ended our first TRC in 10 minutes. Our second TRC was a bit better but when I asked him to turn to the the scripture (3 Nephi 28:11) apparently I said it right but he got confused about the verse and asked if it was another one but then I got confused cuz I can't understand Chinese to save my life. I sort of just smiled and nodded. So instead of reading about the Holy Ghost, he read about how people tried setting the 3 Nephites on fire. Luckily our teacher decided to sit in on this one and bailed us out.
We also had fun as a district playing volleyball and eating pizza. The Italian sister through some way, managed to get us "authentic" Italian pizza. To be honest? It was good but I've had better. After we ate the pizza, we played sand volleyball which was fun. I don't want to brag but I was doing so good that I didn't even let the ball cross the net. Whether or not you're actually allowed to stick your hand over the net and block it is beside the point. My team thought that I was so good that they wanted me to line up against literally the two smallest people in our district: both of the sisters.
We all had fun.
Elder Cook came and gave a talk the devotional. It was pretty cool. He brought one page of the original transcript of the Book of Mormon and then some printer's copies.
Finally the reason I wrote the title. I was going to the mail room with my companion to pick up his package and I saw Sadie Miller there and she gave me a 6 pack of Mtn. Dew. so the resolution that I am swearing off soda has been bumped back a week or so.
Appreciate y'all
Elder Campbell
No comments:
Post a Comment