Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Letters from the MTC - Weeks 1-4

Jan. 18  HEY

I'm a real missionary!  It's crazyyyyyyyyyyyy and I'm overwhelmed but I'll survive, thanks for your prayers.  This is just to say I survived the first day haha it is yet to be determined if I wake up tomorrow.  Love you!

SISTER CAMPBELLLLLLLLLLL

Jan. 24 XIN CHAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If you didn't know. I'M A REAL LIVE MISSIONARY!!!!!!



Well...what to talk about its all been a whirlwind haha let's see...first of all the MTC is a time warp.  I never know what time it is.  I also don't know how to get around this place.  Good thing I have companions to help me!

Also, the amount of prayers said in this place is cray (I know you'll appreciate my language mom:) but I counted and the amount of scheduled prayers a day is like an average of 18 but there's usually even more.  If there was a balloon attached to the roof of the MTC for every prayer said here, we would be in heaven already.

There are 11 of us in my district and 9 of us are going to Vietnam.  They have told us that we are the first white sisters going to Vietnam so no pressure haha.  I am the fourth tallest in my district.  Both of the other sisters are like 5'4".  Basically pray that I don't step on people. 

Vietnamese.  Wow.  Blessed Vietnamese.

Basically the first day started off with me not even being able to say "chao" right so yeah.  It's been a struggle but I know that if I put my faith in the Lord it will all work out.  Learning a language gives us many opportunities to laugh at ourselves.  We have memorized Moroni 10:5 in Vietnamese if you don't count butchering the tones and pronunciation; we only pray in Vietnamese now.  I like all three of my teachers.  One is actually Vietnamese and one is from Great Britain and one is American.  

We have taught our investigator 3 times.  I burst out laughing in two of the lessons.  For example, we realized last time that instead of asking him if he understood after we said something or read a verse, we were asking him if he was healthy hahahaha and many times we will say somethings and he will squint one eye and look really confused and that's when we know he had no clue what we just said.

Jan. 25  The perks of working at the MTC!!


L-R Chi Moss, Chi Lawton, Chi Campbell, Sister Campbell

Jan. 31  THE WEEK MADDIE SENT ME A POTATO!!!!

My $10 grandma Walmart nightgown is my favorite article of clothing.  I was bummed when I found out it didn't cover my knees completely so I couldn't wear it for normal clothing.  Oh well.  Ya win some.  Ya lose some.


The favorite "grandma" nightgown
Also Maddie sent me a potato and I just couldn't believe it because that package is untoppable.  I put it in my pocket and one night I slept with it and my name tag on because I was hoping I would be able to learn Vietnamese in my sleep but guess what? I woke up and still didn't know any Vietnamese.  I just guess that's how it goes.  



This week one of my companions was super sick so we spent a lot of time at the residence hall so that she could sleep.  We also took her to the doctor and walked to the BYU health center to get medicine and while that may not seem like a big thing, I just breathed in all the air that I could because man...freedom for a sec.  I almost wanted to run to BYU real quick to say hi to people but don't worry.  I didn't.  

One cool experience this week is because Chi Moss was so sick the Branch President authorized the Cac Ahn Ca or Elders to give her a blessing of healing.  It was just a super cool experience to see all of these sometimes loud and rowdy Elders get in a circle and give her a blessing.  I felt the spirit strongly in that moment and felt the power the priesthood has and how much the Lord trusts his children.  It's kind of hard to put into words but I was able to see Elders instead of 18 year old boys in that moment.

Vietnamese is hard and I probably only know like 2 words and I still have SO SO SO SO SO SO SO much to learn but there is no place I'd rather be!




Feb. 7    I'M ALIVE STILL!

It's hard to know what to write because everything is a whirlwind and honestly everyday feels the same but here are some things that did happen this week.

Chi Moss and I ate four bowls of ice cream each in one sitting on fast Sunday.
Chi Campbell and Chi Moss wearing face masks

My voice went bye bye. Like I couldn't talk for almost two days and that's real fun when you gotta try and speak tones in Vietnamese.  It's still not completely better but it definitely has improved.  We laughed a lot cuz I just sounded ridiculous.

I upped my game and slept with my grammar book under my pillow, but alas, still no Vietnamese.  

I took my potato on our temple walk on Sunday so that jt could get some fresh air because it is slowly dying.  It is featured in the picture of my district at the temple.  You're welcome.


The District at the Temple being potato bombed
I called our investigator stinky.  His name is Chu Khoi (I'm too lazy to type tones) but basically in Vietnamese ,K is a sound more back in your throat and I was lazy and so I was just saying Hoi but that is actually stinky so...oops.  Also there are lots of words with Hoi so if you don't put the right tone on it you will call it the stinky restoration.  So much fun I tell you.  So much fun.  One of our other investigators also told us that he didn't have time to come to church because he wanted to play soccer so naturally we told him that we have Vietnamese church services at 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 1, 2, 2:30 AND 3.  He still didn't come.  (haha we laugh at ourselves so much).



Chi Lawton and Chi Campbell and the party potato
This week our Mission President asked us to study the relationship of Peter and Christ in the Bible.  I really enjoyed doing that.  I love all of the many questions that Christ asks Peter and the way that he responds.  I have learned a lot form putting myself in Peter's shoes.  This week I have especially contemplated the question "whom say YE that I am?"  

I LOVE YOU ALLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb. 14  DID THE GROUNDHOG SEE ITS SHADOW?

HEY HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!! I bet you can only imagine the amount of amor floating around the MTC.  So much love in the air.  Just kidding. But my real question is DID THE GROUNDHOG SEE ITS SHADOW?  I've been asking everyone around here and no one knows.  Like come on people. The most important holiday of the year.  So please let me know.  I'm on the edge of my seat with suspense.

Sometimes God forces you to open your mouth.  Every Sunday we have to prepare a talk in our branch and they call up people randomly from the audience and this time it was me and my ankle buckled when I walked up there but I know this is just the beginning of what I'm going to have to do for the rest of my mission.  I blabbed for like a minute then sat down. Weird thing was I just knew  I was going to get called.  Something about how the Branch President shook my hand.  You can tell a lot by a handshake.  Just sayin'.

Still praying for the gift of tongues and tones and all sorts of stuff.  Also, if you want a potato update:  it's starting to shrivel.  I might need to have a funeral for it soon.

I LOVE YOU!!!! Thanks for your emails and prayers. They mean a lot.



I get  up in the morning to turn the alarm off and all my blankets and sheets come with me then I just fall on the floor and one of my companions flips the light on.  Then we pray while I lay huddled in my blankets.  6:30 just gets to ya sometimes.



No comments:

Post a Comment