Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Missionary Prep


November 28, 2016.    The call


The siblings didn't know that Aimee had sent in her mission papers.  Grace got the mail that day.
Grace (holding a big envelope looking confused and surprised):  Is Aimee going on a mission?
Robyn:  Ummm.  Yes.
Grace (bursting into tears):  I'm going to miss her so much!

Aimee and Robyn drove to the  Provo temple so she could open her mission call.  It was snowing so we stayed in the car.


Text to sisters with above picture:  Vietnam, Hanoi mission.  I leave Jan. 18.

Bronte and Maddie:  Wait.  WHAT???

Unexpected costs 
Health Center Nurse:  She needs 2 doses of the Japanese Encephalitis shot.  
Robyn:  Ok.  How much will that be?
Nurse:  Three oh six per shot.
Robyn:  Do you mean three dollars and six cents?
Nurse:  Ah, no...Three hundred and six dollars.  And insurance doesn't cover it because it's a travel vaccine and they figure that you don't HAVE to travel.
Robyn says nothing.  Because she can't.



In the weeks before she left, we spent more time together as a family.


The lights at Thanksgiving Point--beautiful but very cold.  
Several people:  Look at that kid.  He's wearing SHORTS!!


Escape Room

The family eating Vietnamese food

Pho?  Aimee, a picky eater,  wasn't too excited about it though.
Christmas vacation in Mexico
Aimee:  This is pure bliss.








Aimee:  We need to stop spending so much family time together 'cuz it's going to be hard for me to go cold turkey when I leave on my mission.  And, everyone needs to start being mean to me.

Receiving her endowment at the Payson Temple



Sunday before going into the MTC
Aimee:  I don't want anyone to come when I speak in church. It stresses me out.  Promise me you won't tell anyone, Mom.
Robyn:  I can't make that promise.

Grandma Johns:  When is Aimee speaking in church?
Robyn:  I can neither confirm nor deny that Aimee is speaking in church on Sunday.  But Rod is speaking on Sunday.














Best friends since 3rd grade

Packing up and saying good-bye


Bertha:  Aimee, you're going to be a great missionary ! I'll be praying for you.  If I die before you get home, I'll watch over you.  First, though, I'm going to ask Heavenly Father to give me longer legs like yours.




January 18.  Being set apart as a missionary in Rod's office.













 Dropping her off at the MTC







Goodbye.  See you in 18 months.  We love you!

Everyone is sobbing in the car on the way home

.
Rod:  I don't know why I'm sad.  She's doing a great thing.

Later.
Rod:  I see now why people take the day off. This is emotionally exhausting.

Even later.
Rod: I still don't understand why I'm so sad.
Grace:  Dad, it's because you love her and you're going to miss her. It's that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment