Saturday, July 14, 2012

Family Scripture "study" with the Campbells (when Rod isn't home)

The other day family scripture study began as it usually does.

One of the children to another child who is already seated on the couch:  Hey, move over.  I want to sit there.

The other child:  I was here already.  YOU find another spot.

First child:  No, I was sitting there earlier in the day so it's still my spot.

Second child:  That doesn't count.  I'm here now so it's MY spot.

Robyn (tired of the bickering):  Will one of you PLEASE be a peacemaker?  I'm tired of this.  We can't read scriptures if you've already chased the Spirit away.

One of the children moves to the floor.


A moment later.

One of the children:  Can I read the first verse?

Another child:  Why do you always get to start reading?

First child:  Because I asked.

Second child:  No, it's because you always want the long verses.  I know you count verses to see which ones are the longest and then you put yourself in a position so you can read them.

First child:  So what.

Second child:  So, I'm sick of it.  I'm going to read first.  (Child starts reading over the top of protestations from the other children)

Another moment later.

Robyn:  Please stop reading like that.

Child:  Like what?

Robyn:  Super fast and in that high voice.  We can't understand what you are saying.  PLEASE, read it right!

Child:  Well, you would know what I'm reading if you were following along.

Robyn:  Sigh.

Still another moment later (and yes, this IS typical):  


One of the children:  Mom, (insert another child's name here)  keeps putting her feet in my face.  I can't see the scriptures.

Robyn:  (child's name), please move your feet.

First child (whining):  She keeps doing it.  (Then smack, he hits his sister on the foot.)

Robyn:  Go to your room.  There will be no hitting during scripture study!!!

Child slowly gets up and moves to his room but keeps the door open.

A few moments later

One of the remaining children:  Mom, tell her to stop reading like that.  I can't STAND it!

Child (yelling from his room):  Smack her on the foot!

Robyn (to herself):  Why do I bother?





5 comments:

  1. Robyn I will read scriptures with you. I will use a normal voice, I will not put my feet in your face, I will let you have the long passages ... the same cannot be said for other Harkers however because our scripture time is exactly like yours! Oi vey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our scripture study is generally one of the following:

    1. I read and everyone else is falling asleep. Sometimes, Dean even snores.

    2. My phone reads and everyone (including me) is falling asleep. Sometimes, I probably snore.

    3. They read without me while everyone is awake. I can't comment further, because I am not there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, I think I would prefer the sleeping--it's much more peaceful :)

      Delete
  3. we so had a Campbell moment today during scriptures! I am clinging tenaciously to the hope that it is the effort that counts, not the actual spirituality of the act!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. It's like one of those squirt gun games at a carnival. You keep squirting and squirting the water at the tiny hole and hope that something is getting in.

      Delete