The 1st Sunday after Rod was released as Bishop
Robyn: I think that after 5 1/2 years you can sit close to the children. I'll sit on the end.
Rod (not a little frustrated after sitting with the family for the first time in 5 1/2 years): I think we need to have a lesson on reverence in church. I can't believe how irreverent these children are!
Robyn (to herself) Give him a few weeks. (outloud): That sounds good.
Aimee: My stress level is rising significantly with Dad sitting next to us.
2nd Sunday
Robyn: Nate, we are going to sit somewhere else this Sunday. We don't need to sit so close to the front now that Dad has been released.
Nate (whining) But I LIKE sitting in the front. I WANT to still sit in the front. I'm GOING to sit in the front.
Robyn finds a spot in the middle towards the back and sits there. So do the girls. Nate stomps up to the front and sits in the "usual" spot.
Aimee: This is so embarrassing. Everyone is watching us.
Robyn (whispering): I know. Let's just go up there today and we'll work it out next time.
Robyn and the girls get up and move to sit near the front with Nate.
Aimee: Where is Dad?
Robyn: He's getting another calling.
3rd Sunday
Robyn again attempts to sit in the middle toward the back. This time Rod is there to support her. Nate plops down on the bench with a huge scowl on his face.
Rod: Hey bud, I'm not sure that you are going to be able to take the Sacrament with that face.
Nate: I don't care. I HATE sitting here.
Rod (to Robyn) Me too. I can't see anything.
Robyn: (sigh)
4th Sunday
Before church
Robyn: Ok. I didn't really like sitting in the back last time so we can go up to the front as usual.
Nate (smiling): I told you.
At church standing in the middle of the aisle
Nate: I get to sit by Dad today.
Grace: No, it's my turn. He said.
Nate (getting louder): No, it's my turn.
Rod (trying to whisper): Nate, I think it is Grace's turn.
Nate: I didn't get to sit by you for 5 1/2 years. That is not fair!!
Rod leaves for a minute
Robyn: Where am I supposed to sit?
Nate: Not here. This is Dad's spot.
Maddie: Mom, you can sit by me.
Robyn moves over to sit by Maddie
Rod returns
Nate: Dad, here is your spot.
Rod: Nate, Mom and I always sit by each other and it's Grace's turn to sit by me today.
He motions for Robyn to come back and sit by him which she does.
Nate slumps down and starts pouting again.
Robyn looks around to see several members of the ward watching this comedy of errors and smiling (to herself): I'm so glad the Campbell family can provide entertainment at Sacrament meeting by playing their own version of musical chairs!
Should not gloat over your despair, but have to admit, if you were in our ward, then everybody could watch you guys instead of us...thanks for sharing. have been pondering a new seating arrangement for awhile now:)
ReplyDelete