After numerous attempts at fixing a broken door on our refrigerator, Rod finally breaks down and decides to buy a new one. He is NOT happy about this because the fridge is only 7 years old and has had many, many problems including a broken handle on the freezer, an ice maker that doesn't work, several broken bins, a motor that had to be fixed and the last straw was the door that wouldn't stay shut. Nate decides to accompany us mostly because he hopes to score dinner afterward.
Upon arriving at the store, a cheerful salesman approaches.
Salesman: Hello Folks! What are you looking for?
Rod (grumpily): Well, I can tell you what I'm NOT looking for.
Salesman (taken aback): Oh? What's that?
Rod: A fridge that breaks. That's what.
Salesman (politely): Well, Sir, I don't think that ANYONE can guarantee THAT. Most fridges don't last longer than 15 years.
Rod: Well mine only lasted 7 years, so I don't want another Frigidaire.
Salesman (maintaining his cheerfulness): That's fine, Sir. We have several other brands that we can look at.
Rod: Fine.
The salesman walks us past several Frigidaires to some LGs.
Robyn (under her breath): Do we trust LG? The phone people said that they stopped making phones because they were BAD at making phones. What's to say that it's not the same with fridges?
After about an hour and a half where Rod and Robyn go back and forth between two fridges, they finally choose one. It's the one Robyn preferred.
Robyn: Now, Rod. I just want to make sure that you aren't going to sigh wistfully every time you open the fridge wishing that we had bought the other one.
Rod: Well, I think you use it more than me so...it's fine.
Nate: Good call, Dad.
Later
Nate (while describing shopping for a fridge to his siblings): Tonight Dad provided me with dinner AND a show!

No comments:
Post a Comment