Maddie's English class has a few athletes in it--Basketball players who according to her think that they are "all that".
Maddie: Did I tell you what happened in Basketball class today?
Robyn: I didn't know you were taking a basketball class.
Maddie: I'm not. That's just what I call my Writing class because we have some basketball players in it who think that they can come late and make a big deal about it giving "high fives" to everyone or that they don't have to do the assignments. It's a little nauseating--especially since these guys aren't very good at basketball! Most of them ride the bench.
Robyn: What happened today?
Maddie: Well, we were in our groups reading our papers with the objective of getting peer feedback. It was an oped paper and I wrote about the high prices at the bookstore. So I read my paper and one of the basketball players said that he wasn't sure that what I wrote fit my audience. He felt that the language was too formal--too many big words, he claimed. The other basketball player in the group put his two cents in and said, "yeah, I had a hard time following it." But the best part was when the other girl in my group just rolled her eyes and said, "Is it because of all of the "big words?" THAT ended the conversation!
No comments:
Post a Comment