Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Laying it on a little thick

Tonight Robyn received this email from one of her college daughters

College Daughter:  Oh dearest mother,
Remember that time when I came from your womb?  Remember how I came screaming into the world? Remember the love that enveloped you when you first held me in your arms?  Nothing is as precious as one's own child.  I know that you would go to the ends of the earth for me! So my dear, dear mother will you read to the end of this paper for me?Will you help me become what you know I can become, one paper at a time? Will you help nurture the amateur writer within me that just wants to write ONE decent paper?  Will you help me on my journey?

Okay, okay maybe I was laying it on a little thick.  Here's the honest truth.  This wee little paragraph to you is the best experience I've had with writing so far in my college career.  I would be ever so grateful if you'd look over this paper for me.  It's due tonight at midnight.  (Don't worry, I started it yesterday and just put the finishing touches on it today).  I love you and miss Dexter.

Your slightly psychotic, ain't too proud to beg, baby girl.

The Mom:  Dear child of my womb,
I remember that you came screamingly into the world or maybe I was screaming as you came into the world. I can't quite recall.  I also remember your big beautiful eyes that looked admiringly up into mine as I cared for you in your childhood. Those eyes seemed to say, "what a wonderful woman you are to sacrifice so much of yourself for me."  Those eyes would melt my heart and the image of them still does.   I also remember the toddler who refused to wear clothes and seatbelts and wouldn't let me do her hair.  Now, I see you as a beautiful young woman--almost an adult--who uses lovely words to express how much I mean to her.   Again, my heart melts as I read your professions of love and admiration.  It is true that I would go to the ends of the earth for you--even lay down my life for you. So yes, I will look over this little paper and do what I can for it and you.

Love,
Your easily persuaded Mother

P.S.  Dexter says "hi".  

No comments:

Post a Comment