Last week
Tuesday at a routine (or so we thought) doctor's check up on Maddie's leg.
Dr. B: Well, young lady, it looks like we're going to have to do surgery again.
Maddie and Robyn unexpectedly feel like they've been hit in the stomach.
Robyn (stunned): Whaaa, whaaaat? Did you say surgery?
Dr. B. Yep. That leg is just not healing. We will do one of two surgeries--either replace the rod or do a metal plate and the flap (a plastic surgery that is 10 hours long and 3 months of recovery time). We need you to do some tests and we'll see you back here on Friday. That's when we'll know which one.
Maddie and Robyn leave in a daze.
Later that night
Maddie: What didn't I learn the first time?
Wednesday Maddie is getting a CT scan.
Receptionist: Are you Robyn?
Robyn: Yep.
Receptionist: The phone is for you.
Robyn (puzzled): Oh? Ok.
Dr.'s Assistant on the phone: It looks like Maddie is seriously low in Vitamin D. You need to get some in her asap.
Robyn (still not used to these non-chalant but stress-inducing statements from the doctor or his assistants): Whaaa? What? Ok. Where do I even go to get that?
Friday
Robyn (optimistic but delusional): Well, Maddie maybe you won't even have to have surgery. Maybe the Vitamin D can fix it.
Maddie (rolling her eyes): Mom, he said we had to have surgery, it's time to face reality.
Dr. B: Well good news, we don't have to do the metal plate and flap surgery. We will do the replacement surgery.
Robyn (to herself): You call THAT good news?
Dr. B: Let's do it soon. How about next week or the following week?
Maddie: Let's NOT do it on my birthday week, please.
Dr. B: Ok. We'll do it on the 14th.
Saturday
Maddie goes with her sisters to the Provo temple. She only does confirmations because of her leg so she leaves but the other two wait two hours to do baptisms. On her way to pick them up from the temple, she is turning left at the Marriott center at BYU and a car hits her. The blazer rolls twice.
Maddie (to herself): This is it! I'm going to die! I don't think I'm ready to die! I don't want to die!
She is stuck upside down for about 30 minutes wedged behind the steering wheel waiting for the police to cut her out of the seatbelt. A nice girl helps her by calling her sisters who are waiting at the temple. They run as fast as they can to the scene of the accident and upon seeing the upturned vehicle with glass everywhere, fire trucks, police cars, an ambulance, immediately become hysterical. Due to a conversation with that same girl, Robyn arrives a few minutes later, takes a few deep breaths, and talks to one of the police officers.
Police Officer (using deductive reasoning by looking at Robyn's face): Are you Mom?
Robyn: Yes.
Police Officer: She's ok. We're just getting her out now. We'll take her to the hospital so they can check her out.
Robyn: Can I go in the ambulance with her? (to Bronte) You can drive the van to the hospital.
Police Officer (looking at the crying sisters): Ma'am I think that maybe YOU should drive. These girls aren't calm enough to drive.
At the hospital.
Robyn, Bronte and Aimee follow the ambulance in the car. Rod arrives a few minutes later. Maddie is examined and the only apparent injuries are some scratches on her hand, elbow and foot.
ER Dr.: Well, Maddie. I'd say you are one lucky girl. Are you sure your car rolled? Usually we see injuries much worse than this.
Paramedic: Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's pretty amazing.
Robyn (realizing that there could be no other explanation for the lack of injury): I think it is a miracle. Angels were watching out for her. (to herself): Thank you, Maxine.
Later that night
Maddie (with sore and stiff muscles, a seatbelt bruise, and a mother of a head-ache): This has been a very crappy week!
Aimee: I'm so glad you didn't die, Maddie! But according to your patriarchal blessing, you still have a lot to do.
Even later that night
Rod and Robyn (praying): Thank you, Heavenly Father, for letting us keep our girl.

Wow, Maddie, that is some week! I am so relieved that your angel kept you safe:) the blessings of the temple are amazing. I'm so sorry it's been so awfully hard lately. You sure have good parents with sound hearts to endure this journey of a week...I think I'd be into the chocolate by now, what craziness! Hang on, it's got to get better!
ReplyDelete