At dinner the other night
Robyn: So children, what did you do to help someone today?
Maddie: I mowed the lawn for you.
Grace: I told someone where to go.
Everyone else: What???
Grace: A friend came to the door and asked me where someone lived and I told them.
Robyn (relieved that her 7-year-old is NOT picking up profanity): OH. That's nice. Aimee? What did you do?
Aimee (a little grumpy): Nothing! I did absolutely nothing for anyone today!
Later that evening after family scripture study Robyn is trying to show her appreciation and love for her children.
Robyn: Maddie, thank you for mowing the lawn today. I really appreciate it. Bronte, thank you for taking Hannah (a family friend) to BYU today and getting her settled in. That was really nice of you. Nate, thank you for not giving me any grief about going to swimming today.
Nate: I'm glad you noticed. You're welcome.
Robyn: Aimee and Grace, it made my heart happy to watch you playing outside together.
Aimee and Grace (in unison): What??? That's all we get???
Aimee: Yeah, you told the others something about themselves. Why don't we get something by ourselves?
Robyn (wondering how this exercise has gone so awry): Well, you yourself said that you hadn't done anything for anyone today. I was just saying that it made me happy watching you play with your sister.
Aimee: Well, that's stupid.
Later while putting Grace to bed
Robyn: Grace will you please stop crying.
Grace: I can't. I can't help it. You didn't say anything nice about ME tonight.
Robyn (to herself): This is ridiculous. (outloud): Well I really need you to stop crying.
Grace: Well I'll just cry silently so you can't hear me.
Robyn: Good grief.
Thanks! I needed that. :)
ReplyDelete