Waiting for the Paramedics
YW President (who is holding Maddie's leg together, yelling) Will someone please turn the music off?
A few seconds later
YW President (yelling louder): Turn the music off!!!
A few more seconds later
YW President: Turn the d*** music off!!!!!!!
Other YW leader who is holding Maddie's hands and trying to talk her through the pain: Maddie, if you need to swear, now is the perfect time.
Maddie (in pain): I can't think of anything to say.
After the Paramedics arrive but before they can give her anything for the pain
Paramedic: Maddie, are you pregnant?
Maddie (horrified and indignant): I have NEVER broken the law of chastity in my life!!!!
Paramedic (back-pedaling as fast as possible): Sorry. Sorry. We are just required by law to ask that question. I didn't mean to insinuate anything.
Maddie is taken by ambulance to the hospital. Robyn rides in the front. Rod follows in the car.
YW Leader who works with orthopedic doctors: I called the hospital to see who is on call. I don't like that doctor so I called another to come and take care of her.
Dr. B. (before he even looks at Maddie's leg): Parents, I want you to call the city council and get these trampoline places shut down! We have seen a huge increase in trampoline injuries since these places opened up!
![]() |
| the x-ray |
![]() |
| after the first surgery Wed. night |

Maddie (after the first surgery): That awkward moment when you wake up after surgery and wonder where your underwear has gone. Yeah, I was feeling a breeze where I shouldn't have been.
After the 2nd surgery--where the Dr. put a rod through her tibia and screws in at the knee and ankle to hold it in place and also sewed up the gaping wound--Maddie was experiencing the worst pain she has ever endured in all her almost 17 years.
Maddie (as Robyn watches her helplessly): There is only ONE person who knows how I feel right now.
Special treatment from Mom and Dad
![]() |
| We knew she wasn't feeling well when she let us hug and kiss her. |
![]() |
| Dad was the only one who rubbed her toes right. |
Feeling better
![]() |
| Putting on makeup does wonders. |
![]() |
| Best PCT ever! She washed and braided Maddie's hair. |
![]() |
| YW leaders brought a poster signed by the YW. We hung it outsider her door. |
![]() |
| Sister Bronson came several times and brought many gifts. |
![]() |
| One day she had 13 friends in her room at lunch time--Provo High is across the street from the hospital. |
![]() |
| We'll see if she can still do this WITHOUT the pain meds. |
Physical Therapy
![]() |
| After the second surgery, walking was a killer. |
![]() |
| Learning to work a wheelchair |
Originally the Dr. said she could come home on Monday but she could only walk to the door of her room so he told her that she could go home if she could walk all the way around the nurse's station. Having a goal and the strong desire to go home, gave her the determination to do it. So on Tues. she went all the way around the nurse's station, sweating profusely and profoundly tired but extremely proud. She went home that night.
Homecoming
Robyn: Now the real work begins.



















Wow, Robyn, I had no idea Maddie and your family were going through this. Thanks for sharing. I love how Maddie's good attitude and yours shine through! love to all of you:)
ReplyDeleteMaddie, I'm sooooo sorry you're hurt! I knew capes are dangerous and now I'm adding trampolines too. I just want you to know that Oregon fresh air has restorative (is that a word?) powers and I think you should come here and let us take care of you. We're all sending our love!
ReplyDeleteCoreen.